Court Upholds Jury Verdict Obtained by Attorney Daniel J. O'Connell and Attorney Sarah A. Ornelas
- posted: Aug 24, 2015
Attorney Daniel J. O’Connell and Attorney Sarah A. Ornelas were successful at upholding the jury verdict obtained in Michael Saxe v. Baystate Medical Center. During July 2014, Attorney O’Connell and Attorney Ornelas represented a former security guard who was fired from Baystate Medical Center. Mr. Saxe was sexually harassed by a female co-worker and reported the harassment to the Human Resources Department. Ultimately, as a result of his complaints and expressing his belief that the Human Resource representative conducted a sham investigation due to his gender, Mr. Saxe was terminated from his employment. The jury awarded the Plaintiff $265,850.00 in damages. After the trial the Defendant tried to obtain relief from the Verdict by filing various post-trial motions. Attorney O’Connell and Attorney Ornelas argued against the Defendant’s Motions, and Judge Ferrera recently denied all of the Defendant’s Motions (thereby upholding the verdict of the jury).
According to Attorney O’Connell, “the decision in Saxe is an important reminder that sexual harassment can take all forms, and is not specifically limited to women being harassed by men. I think that the jury made the right decision in the case and I am glad that the Judge upheld the verdict.”
VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS
$2.5 million dollar settlement recently obtained in an employment discrimination case.
In a recent employment discrimination case, the firm obtained a $1.4 million jury verdict for a client.
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
PRESS RELEASES AND OTHER NEWS FROM THE U.S. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION
- Burgers & Beer Settles EEOC Sex Discrimination Lawsuit For $150,000
- EEOC Proposes Amendment to Clarify Official Time Rule for Federal Employees Acting as Labor Representatives
- Titus-Will to Pay $125,000 to Settle EEOC Discrimination Lawsuit
- Laz Parking Will Pay $155,000 to Settle EEOC National Origin Discrimination Suit
- Herbruck Poultry Ranch, Inc. Pays $93,000 to Settle EEOC Harassment and Retaliation Suit
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Georgia Sued by EEOC for Disability Discrimination
Reviews & Ratings
very attentive and understanding.
A true professional. He was wonderful,and helped my son out of a serious criminal issue.
He listened and was responsive and handled my employment case like an experienced professional. I am very happy with the results.